• Lawrence van Lingen
    This is from a 2016 Instagram and facebook post.

I should add its worth noting how much toe bend we need to run. I feel the toes could be more flexible in this athlete in this clip. His foot mechanics and structure have since improved. The athlete remarked after strengthening and aligning his feet that he would look down and not recognize his own feet, they had transformed so much. nearly 3 years on and he is still lower limb injury free and subsequently ran a 10 minute Ironman PB with a quite handy 2:42. Here is a link to a you tube video that is a great start to aligning your ankles and getting your toes supple https://youtu.be/fOxAt8os-V0

I Recently worked with a Pro Ironman athlete with left Achilles pain. Running became pain free very quickly as we worked on toe flexibility, released the plantar fascia and soleus muscle. Interestingly he was running in a pair of shoes with quite a high heel drop to provide some relief to the Achilles (think heel lift). These seemed to have the opposite of the desired effect. The Achilles is happy when it's loaded smoothly and has a smooth release of elastic energy. The higher heel caused a sudden yank on the tendon rather than a smooth transition. In this clip you can see that the right foot snaps onto the belt (most likely tight soleus complex). This snap is almost always exacerbated by a heel lift or rigid square heel and creates abnormal load on the medial Achilles. The left foot is showing off after treatment and is smoother and stays on the belt longer.. You will always be rewarded for strong, supple and skillful feet. FYI this athlete had week feet, collapsed arches and orthotics not so long ago... Run Well my friends.
    Attachment
    IMG_1074 (9M)
  • Brittany Vocke
    After a few views of this I can see what you mean about the left foot staying on the belt longer. If I see correctly it looks like he’s following through with the toes more on his left foot? This has given me some perspective on what we are working on with my feet.
  • Lawrence van Lingen
    Yes, Remember to not think about your feet too much when you run. Always work on your posture and Rule number one of running, Control your center of mass. As your movement becomes more central or from the hips, and you control your center of mass, your feet will become supple and do what they are supposed to do. Increasing hip extension, will allow the feet to stay on the ground longer. Using your hips to drive the earth will allow them to stay connected longer. Supple feet will stay on the ground longer.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Innerunner Community!

Guest users will see this message on almost every page throughout the site. Use this space to encourage them to sign up.